当你年老、黯淡、慵懒、昏瞑,
When you are old and gray and full of sleep
在炉火旁瞌睡,请取下这本书,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
悠悠地品读,梦忆你那双妙目
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
曾经的温婉,和那幽深的睫影。
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;
多少人曾艳羡你欢悦时的妩媚,
How many loved your moments of glad grace,
贪恋你的美丽,其心或假或真,
And loved your beauty with love false or true;
唯有一个人爱慕你流浪的灵魂,
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
爱惜你游移的面容携带的伤悲。
And loved the sorrows of your changing face.
俯下身,在炽红的炉栅旁边,
And bending down beside the glowing bars,
嘟哝着,惆怅着,说爱情如何逃走,
Murmur, a little sadly, how love fled
踯躅着走上高处群山的山头,
And paced upon the mountains overhead,
在繁星之间藏起了它的脸。
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.