城市段若川 罗海燕 译

The CityJohn Cavafy 译


你说:“我一定能找到另一座更美的城市,
You said: “I will go hence to another land,
另一块土地,另一片海洋,
I will betake me to another sea.
因为我在这里的每一次努力都注定失败,
A better place than this may well be found.
我的心在死亡,
All my endeavours are foredoomed to fail,
就像我无限忧伤的思绪一样。
and as though dead my heart is sepulchred.
回顾往昔,只看到我生活中阴暗的废墟,
How long shall this corrosion sap my brain?
还有在这里度过或荒废的时光。”
On every side — whichever way I look —

dark ruins of my life confront me here
你将找不到另一块土地和另一片海洋,
where I have spent and wrecked so many years.”
这座城市将永远在你心底埋藏。

你将回到原来的街巷。
You shall not find new places; other seas
你将在原来的市郊衰老;
you shall not find. The place shall follow you.
在原来的房屋变得白发苍苍。
And you shall walk the same familiar streets,
因为城市总是那同一座,你不必另外寻找。
and you shall age in the same neighbourhood,
——因为它不存在,既没有通路也没有舟桨。
and whiten in these same houses. Ever this place
在这里失去的生活,
shall you arrive at. There is neither ship,
你已经将它毁掉,在整个大地上。
nor road, for you, to bring you otherwhere.
As here, in this small nook, you wrecked your life,
even so you spoilt it over all the earth.


添加译本