They say to me, thy clear and crystal eyes:
你那明如水晶的眼睛向我询问:
“Why dost thou love me so, strange lover mine?”
“我对你有什么价值,奇怪的朋友?”
Be sweet, be still! My heart and soul despise
——快乐吧,不要作声!除了太古野兽
All save that antique brute-like faith of thine;
那样的单纯,我这恼怒一切的心,
And will not bare the secret of their shame
不愿对你透露它的可怕的隐衷
To thee whose hand soothe me to slumbers long,
和那用火焰写成的阴暗的奇闻,
Nor their black legend write for thee in flame!
摇着我的摇篮催我长眠的女人。
Passion I hate, a spirit does me wrong.
我憎恨热情,我的精神使我苦痛!
Let us love gently. Love, from his retreat,
我们安然相爱吧,小爱神丘比特,
Ambushed and shadowy, bends his fatal bow,
暗藏在哨所,张着命运的弓矢。
And I too well his ancient arrows know:
我知道那古代武库里的武器:
Crime, horror, folly. O pale Marguerite,
罪恶、恐怖和疯狂!——哦,苍白的雏菊,
Thou art as I, a bright sun fallen low,
你我不都像秋季太阳已是迟暮?
O my so white, my so cold Marguerite.
哦,如此洁白而冷冷的玛格丽特!