You said, “I will go to another place, to another shore.
你说:“我要去另一个国家,另一片海岸,
Another city can be found that’s better than this.
寻找另一个比这里好的城市。
All that I struggle for is doomed, condemned to failure;
无论我做什么,结果总是事与愿违。
and my heart is like a corpse interred.
而我的心灵被埋没,好像一件死去的东西。
How long will my mind stagger under this misery?
我枯竭的思想还能在这个地方维持多久?
Wherever I turn, wherever I look
无论我往哪里转,无论我往哪里瞧,
I see the blackened ruins of my life,
我看到的都是我生命的黑色废墟,在这里,
which for years on end I squandered and wrecked and ravaged”.
我虛度了很多年时光,很多年完全被我毁掉了。”
You will find no other place, no other shores.
你不会找到一个新的国家,不会找到另一片海岸。
This city will possess you, and you’ll wander the same
这个城市会永远跟着你。你会走在同样的街道上,
streets. In these same neighborhoods you’ll grow old;
衰老在同样熟悉的地方,白发苍苍在同样这些屋子里。
in these same houses you’ll turn gray.
你会永远发现自己还是在这个城市里。不要对别处的事物
Always you’ll return to this city. Don’t even hope for another.
抱什么希望:那里没有你的船,那里没有你的路。
There’s no boat for you, there’s no other way out.
就像你已经在这里,在这个小小角落浪费了你的生命,
In the way you’ve destroyed your life here,
你也已经在世界上任何一个地方毁掉了它。
in this little corner, you’ve destroyed it everywhere else.