You said: “I’ll go to another country, go to another shore,
你说:“我一定能找到另一座更美的城市,
find another city better than this one.
另一块土地,另一片海洋,
Whatever I try to do is fated to turn out wrong
因为我在这里的每一次努力都注定失败,
and my heart lies buried like something dead.
我的心在死亡,
How long can I let my mind moulder in this place?
就像我无限忧伤的思绪一样。
Wherever I turn, wherever I look,
回顾往昔,只看到我生活中阴暗的废墟,
I see the black ruins of my life, here,
还有在这里度过或荒废的时光。”
where I’ve spent so many years, wasted them, destroyed them totally.”
你将找不到另一块土地和另一片海洋,
You won’t find a new country, won’t find another shore.
这座城市将永远在你心底埋藏。
This city will always pursue you.
你将回到原来的街巷。
You’ll walk the same streets, grow old
你将在原来的市郊衰老;
in the same neighborhoods, turn gray in these same houses.
在原来的房屋变得白发苍苍。
You’ll always end up in this city. Don’t hope for things elsewhere:
因为城市总是那同一座,你不必另外寻找。
there’s no ship for you, there’s no road.
——因为它不存在,既没有通路也没有舟桨。
Now that you’ve wasted your life here, in this small corner,
在这里失去的生活,
you’ve destroyed it everywhere in the world.
你已经将它毁掉,在整个大地上。