The City埃德蒙·基利, Philip Sherrard 译

城市黄灿然 译


You said: “I’ll go to another country, go to another shore,
你说:“我要去另一个国家,另一片海岸,
find another city better than this one.
寻找另一个比这里好的城市。
Whatever I try to do is fated to turn out wrong
无论我做什么,结果总是事与愿违。
and my heart lies buried like something dead.
而我的心灵被埋没,好像一件死去的东西。
How long can I let my mind moulder in this place?
我枯竭的思想还能在这个地方维持多久?
Wherever I turn, wherever I look,
无论我往哪里转,无论我往哪里瞧,
I see the black ruins of my life, here,
我看到的都是我生命的黑色废墟,在这里,
where I’ve spent so many years, wasted them, destroyed them totally.”
我虛度了很多年时光,很多年完全被我毁掉了。”

You won’t find a new country, won’t find another shore.
你不会找到一个新的国家,不会找到另一片海岸。
This city will always pursue you.
这个城市会永远跟着你。你会走在同样的街道上,
You’ll walk the same streets, grow old
衰老在同样熟悉的地方,白发苍苍在同样这些屋子里。
in the same neighborhoods, turn gray in these same houses.
你会永远发现自己还是在这个城市里。不要对别处的事物
You’ll always end up in this city. Don’t hope for things elsewhere:
抱什么希望:那里没有你的船,那里没有你的路。
there’s no ship for you, there’s no road.
就像你已经在这里,在这个小小角落浪费了你的生命,
Now that you’ve wasted your life here, in this small corner,
你也已经在世界上任何一个地方毁掉了它。
you’ve destroyed it everywhere in the world.


添加译本