城市黄灿然 译

The CityPeter Green 译


你说:“我要去另一个国家,另一片海岸,
You said: “I’ll find a new land, find another sea—
寻找另一个比这里好的城市。
A new city’ll turn up, a better one than this.
无论我做什么,结果总是事与愿违。
Every effort I make is condemned, turns out amiss,
而我的心灵被埋没,好像一件死去的东西。
While my heart, like a corpse, lies buried deep,
我枯竭的思想还能在这个地方维持多久?
And my mind—how long will my mind stay sunk in stagnant sleep?
无论我往哪里转,无论我往哪里瞧,
Here, wherever I look, wherever I turn my gaze
我看到的都是我生命的黑色废墟,在这里,
I see the blackened wreck of all my days,
我虛度了很多年时光,很多年完全被我毁掉了。”
So many years spent, ruined, lost by me.”

你不会找到一个新的国家,不会找到另一片海岸。
There are no new places you’ll find, you’ll catch no other tide.
这个城市会永远跟着你。你会走在同样的街道上,
This city will follow you. The streets you tread
衰老在同样熟悉的地方,白发苍苍在同样这些屋子里。
Will be the same, it’s in these same houses your head
你会永远发现自己还是在这个城市里。不要对别处的事物
Will turn grey, in the same neighborhoods that you’ll age.
抱什么希望:那里没有你的船,那里没有你的路。
Always you’ll end up in this city. Don’t hope to turn the page
就像你已经在这里,在这个小小角落浪费了你的生命,
To an Elsewhere for which there’s no ship for you, no road shows clear.
你也已经在世界上任何一个地方毁掉了它。
Just as you destroyed your life back here
In this tiny retreat, so you ruined it world-wide.


添加译本