你说:“我要去另一个国家,另一片海岸,
You said, “I will go to another place, to another shore.
寻找另一个比这里好的城市。
Another city can be found that’s better than this.
无论我做什么,结果总是事与愿违。
All that I struggle for is doomed, condemned to failure;
而我的心灵被埋没,好像一件死去的东西。
and my heart is like a corpse interred.
我枯竭的思想还能在这个地方维持多久?
How long will my mind stagger under this misery?
无论我往哪里转,无论我往哪里瞧,
Wherever I turn, wherever I look
我看到的都是我生命的黑色废墟,在这里,
I see the blackened ruins of my life,
我虛度了很多年时光,很多年完全被我毁掉了。”
which for years on end I squandered and wrecked and ravaged”.
你不会找到一个新的国家,不会找到另一片海岸。
You will find no other place, no other shores.
这个城市会永远跟着你。你会走在同样的街道上,
This city will possess you, and you’ll wander the same
衰老在同样熟悉的地方,白发苍苍在同样这些屋子里。
streets. In these same neighborhoods you’ll grow old;
你会永远发现自己还是在这个城市里。不要对别处的事物
in these same houses you’ll turn gray.
抱什么希望:那里没有你的船,那里没有你的路。
Always you’ll return to this city. Don’t even hope for another.
就像你已经在这里,在这个小小角落浪费了你的生命,
There’s no boat for you, there’s no other way out.
你也已经在世界上任何一个地方毁掉了它。
In the way you’ve destroyed your life here,
in this little corner, you’ve destroyed it everywhere else.