你说:“我要去另一个国家,另一片海岸,
You said: "I shall go to some other land, I shall go to some other sea.
寻找另一个比这里好的城市。
Another city there must be, better than this.
无论我做什么,结果总是事与愿违。
My every effort here is a sentence of condemnation against me,
而我的心灵被埋没,好像一件死去的东西。
and my heart—like a corpse—lies buried.
我枯竭的思想还能在这个地方维持多久?
How long shall my mind remain smothered in this blight?
无论我往哪里转,无论我往哪里瞧,
Wherever I turn my eye, wherever I look,
我看到的都是我生命的黑色废墟,在这里,
I see the black ruins of my life
我虛度了很多年时光,很多年完全被我毁掉了。”
where I spent and spoiled and ruined so many years."
你不会找到一个新的国家,不会找到另一片海岸。
Fresh lands you shall not find, you shall not find other seas.
这个城市会永远跟着你。你会走在同样的街道上,
The city shall ever follow you.
衰老在同样熟悉的地方,白发苍苍在同样这些屋子里。
In streets you shall wander that are the same streets and
你会永远发现自己还是在这个城市里。不要对别处的事物
grow old in quarters that are the same
抱什么希望:那里没有你的船,那里没有你的路。
and among these very same houses you shall turn grey.
就像你已经在这里,在这个小小角落浪费了你的生命,
You shall always be returning to the city. Hope not;
你也已经在世界上任何一个地方毁掉了它。
there is no ship to take you to other lands, there is no road.
You have so spoiled your life here in this tiny corner
that you have ruined it in all the world.