1
I
风穿过粗壮的黄杨
The wind through the box-elder trees
如白马驱驰于黄昏,
Is like rides at dusk on a white horse,
为国征战,痛击英国人。
Wars for your country, and fighting the British.
2
II
我不知道华盛顿是否听过。
I wonder if Washington listened to the trees.
整个上午我都坐在草地上,
All morning I have been sitting in grass,
它们没了我的双眼,在树下,
Higher than my eyes, beneath trees,
我侧耳倾听,那些风穿梭于叶隙。
And listening upward, to the wind in leaves.
忽然,我明白了这是怎么一回事:
Suddenly I realize there is one thing more:
原来风也穿过了这高高的草丛。
There is also the wind through the high grass.
3
III
那儿有宫殿,船只,静寂的白色屋宇,
There are palaces, boats, silence among white buildings,
冰水升至大理石顶,屋子一片冰凉;
Iced drinks on marble tops among cool rooms;
作为穷人,听这风也是好的。
It is also good to be poor, and listen to the wind.