爱许我一个欢迎,我的灵魂却畏缩难前,
Love bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back,
因脏与罪而内疚不已。
Guilty of dust and sin.
但目光敏锐的爱,察觉了我的颓然
But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack
从第一次迈进来起。
From my first entrance in,
便向我身边靠近,甜蜜地问及
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning
是否我还缺些东西。
If I lack'd anything.
“另有他人,”我回答,“更值得来这里”;
"A guest," I answer'd, "worthy to be here";
爱说道,“那个他人正应是你。”
Love said, "You shall be he."
“我?这冷酷、薄情的一个?啊,我亲爱的,
"I, the unkind, the ungrateful? ah my dear,
我都不能直视你。”
I cannot look on thee."
Love took my hand and smiling did reply,
爱拉我的手微笑着回应,
"Who made the eyes but I?"
“难道不正是我造了这双眼睛?”
“没错,主人,可我却污蒙了它们;就让我的羞惭
"Truth, Lord, but I have marr'd them; let my shame
去它该去的所在。”
Go where it doth deserve."
"And know you not," says Love, "who bore the blame?"
“可知道,”爱说,“你无需将责罚承担?”
"My dear, then I will serve."
“亲爱的,服侍且让我来。”
"You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat."
“你该要坐下,”爱说,“尝我的肉为食。”
So I did sit and eat.
我于是坐实,开始吃。