To have been told “I love you” by you could well be, for me,
你对我说“我爱你”,可以说是我
the highlight of my life, the best feeling, the best peak
生命中的高光,最美好的感觉,
on my feeling graph, in the way that the Chrysler building
情感图表上的最佳峰值,
might not be the tallest building in the NY sky but is
就像克莱斯勒大厦
the best, the most exquisitely spired, or the way that
可能不是纽约天际线上最高的建筑,但却是
Hank Aaron’s career home-run total is not the highest
最美丽、最精致的尖顶,或者像
but the best, the one that signifies the purest greatness.
汉克·阿伦的本垒打总数虽然不是最高,
So improbable! To have met you at all and then
但却是最好的,体现出纯粹的伟大。
to have been told in your soft young voice so soon
这是多么不可思议! 能够遇见你,
after meeting you: "I love you." And I felt the mystery
然后在认识你不久后,
of being that you, of being a you and being
你用柔和年轻的声音告诉我:“我爱你。”
loved, and what I was, instantly, was someone
我感受到那种神秘,
who could be told "I love you" by someone like you.
你存在,
I was, in that moment, new; you were 19; I was 22;
而我被你爱着,瞬间变成了
you were impulsive; I was there in front of you, with a future
可以被像你这样的人说“我爱你”的人。
that hadn't yet been burned for fuel; I had energy;
在那一刻,我是崭新的;你19岁;我22岁;
you had beauty; and your eyes were a pale blue,
你激情澎湃;我就在你面前,拥有一个
and they backed what you said with all they hadn't seen,
尚未被当作木柴燃烧的未来;我充满活力;
and they were the least ambitious eyes I'd known,
你拥有美丽;你的眼睛是浅蓝色的,
the least calculating, and when you spoke and when
阅世未深的它们支持着你所说的一切,
they shone, perhaps you saw the feeling you caused.
它们是我所见过的最单纯,最与世无争的眼睛,
Perhaps you saw too that the feeling would stay.
而当你说话时,
你的眼睛闪烁,也许你看到了你所引发的感觉。
也许你也看到了这种感觉将会萦绕在我心中。