A Sad State Of FreedomTaner Baybars 译

自由的惨状非马 译


You waste the attention of your eyes,
你浪费你眼睛的注意,
the glittering labour of your hands,
你双手闪汗的劳动,
and knead the dough enough for dozens of loaves
揉足够做一打面包的面
of which you'll taste not a morsel;
    你自己却尝不到一小片;
you are free to slave for others—
你有替别人做奴隶的自由—
you are free to make the rich richer.
你有使富人更富的自由。

The moment you're born
你出世的那一刻
they plant around you
    他们在你四周架设了
mills that grind lies
磨谎言的磨机
lies to last you a lifetime.
磨够你用一辈子的谎言。
You keep thinking in your great freedom
你一直在你的大自由里思想
a finger on your temple
    一根手指在你的太阳穴上
free to have a free conscience.
 自由地保有自由的良知。

Your head bent as if half-cut from the nape,
你的头低垂有如颈背被砍了一刀,
your arms long, hanging,
你的手臂长长,吊着
your saunter about in your great freedom:
你在你的大自由里漫步:
you're free
    你有的是自由
with the freedom of being unemployed.
 失业的自由。

You love your country
你爱你的国家
as the nearest, most precious thing to you.
把它当成最亲近最可贵的东西。
But one day, for example,
但有一天,比方说,
they may endorse it over to America,
    他们可能把它签给美国,
and you, too, with your great freedom—
而你,以你的大自由—
you have the freedom to become an air-base.
你也有变成一个空军基地的自由。

You may proclaim that one must live
你也许会宣称人
not as a tool, a number or a link
不是工具、数字或链环
but as a human being—
而要活得像一个人—
then at once they handcuff your wrists.
他们马上会把你的手腕铐上。
You are free to be arrested, imprisoned
你有被捕、下狱
and even hanged.
甚至被吊的自由。

There's neither an iron, wooden
你的生命里
nor a tulle curtain
    既没有铁的、木的
in your life;
         也没有绢的屏障;
there's no need to choose freedom:
没有选择自由的必要:
you are free.
你有的是自由。
But this kind of freedom
但这种自由
is a sad affair under the stars.
 是星球底下的一椿惨事。


1951
1951
添加译本