你浪费你眼睛的注意,
You waste the attention of your eyes,
你双手闪汗的劳动,
the glittering labour of your hands,
揉足够做一打面包的面
and knead the dough enough for dozens of loaves
你自己却尝不到一小片;
of which you'll taste not a morsel;
你有替别人做奴隶的自由—
you are free to slave for others—
你有使富人更富的自由。
you are free to make the rich richer.
你出世的那一刻
The moment you're born
他们在你四周架设了
they plant around you
磨谎言的磨机
mills that grind lies
磨够你用一辈子的谎言。
lies to last you a lifetime.
你一直在你的大自由里思想
You keep thinking in your great freedom
一根手指在你的太阳穴上
a finger on your temple
自由地保有自由的良知。
free to have a free conscience.
你的头低垂有如颈背被砍了一刀,
Your head bent as if half-cut from the nape,
你的手臂长长,吊着
your arms long, hanging,
你在你的大自由里漫步:
your saunter about in your great freedom:
你有的是自由
you're free
失业的自由。
with the freedom of being unemployed.
你爱你的国家
You love your country
把它当成最亲近最可贵的东西。
as the nearest, most precious thing to you.
但有一天,比方说,
But one day, for example,
他们可能把它签给美国,
they may endorse it over to America,
而你,以你的大自由—
and you, too, with your great freedom—
你也有变成一个空军基地的自由。
you have the freedom to become an air-base.
你也许会宣称人
You may proclaim that one must live
不是工具、数字或链环
not as a tool, a number or a link
而要活得像一个人—
but as a human being—
他们马上会把你的手腕铐上。
then at once they handcuff your wrists.
你有被捕、下狱
You are free to be arrested, imprisoned
甚至被吊的自由。
and even hanged.
你的生命里
There's neither an iron, wooden
既没有铁的、木的
nor a tulle curtain
也没有绢的屏障;
in your life;
没有选择自由的必要:
there's no need to choose freedom:
你有的是自由。
you are free.
但这种自由
But this kind of freedom
是星球底下的一椿惨事。
is a sad affair under the stars.