Say this city has ten million souls,
这座城里住着一千万灵魂,
Some are living in mansions, some are living in holes:
有的住上高楼,有些住在洞里,
Yet there's no place for us, my dear, yet there's no place for us.
但是没有哪个地方是为我们准备的,我亲爱的,没有哪个地方是我们的。
Once we had a country and we thought it fair,
我们曾经有个国家我们觉得这是公平的,
Look in the atlas and you'll find it there:
看看地图集你可以找到它:
We cannot go there now, my dear, we cannot go there now.
我们现在到不了那儿,我亲爱的,我们到不了那儿。
In the village churchyard there grows an old yew,
乡村教堂院里长着一棵老红豆杉,
Every spring it blossoms anew:
每年春天它都吐绿翻生:
Old passports can't do that, my dear, old passports can't do that.
老护照做不了这个,我亲爱的,老护照做不了这个。
The consul banged the table and said,
公使敲着桌子说,
"If you've got no passport you're officially dead":
「如果你没有护照,你在我这儿就是死人」:
But we are still alive, my dear, but we are still alive.
但是我们仍然活着,我亲爱的,但是我们仍然活着。
Went to a committee; they offered me a chair;
去找委员会,他们会给我一把椅子;
Asked me politely to return next year:
礼貌地让我明年回去:
But where shall we go to-day, my dear, but where shall we go to-day?
但是我们今天回哪儿,我亲爱的,我们今天回哪儿?
Came to a public meeting; the speaker got up and said;
来到一个公开集会,演讲人站起来说,
"If we let them in, they will steal our daily bread":
「如果我们让他们进来,他们会偷走我们每天的面包」:
He was talking of you and me, my dear, he was talking of you and me.
他是在说我们,我亲爱的,他是在说我们。
Thought I heard the thunder rumbling in the sky;
我想我听到了天边的雷声,
It was Hitler over Europe, saying, "They must die":
那是希特勒跨在欧洲身上,「他们必须死」:
O we were in his mind, my dear, O we were in his mind.
噢,他在想着我们,我亲爱的,他在想着我们。
Saw a poodle in a jacket fastened with a pin,
看那贵宾犬穿着小夹克戴着小项圈穿着小带子,
Saw a door opened and a cat let in:
看那门打开一只猫咪钻进去:
But they weren't German Jews, my dear, but they weren't German Jews.
但它们不是德国犹太人,但它们不是德国犹太人。
Went down the harbour and stood upon the quay,
走进港口站在码头之上,
Saw the fish swimming as if they were free:
看那鱼儿游泳仿佛它们是自由的:
Only ten feet away, my dear, only ten feet away.
我和它们只差10英尺,我亲爱的,只差10英尺。
Walked through a wood, saw the birds in the trees;
穿过树林,看到鸟儿在树上;
They had no politicians and sang at their ease:
它们没有政治家唱得很轻松:
They weren't the human race, my dear, they weren't the human race.
它们并非人类,我亲爱的,它们并非人类。
Dreamed I saw a building with a thousand floors,
我梦见看到一座房子有一千层,
A thousand windows and a thousand doors:
一千个窗户一千扇门:
Not one of them was ours, my dear, not one of them was ours.
没有一个是我们的,我亲爱的,没有一个是我们的。
Stood on a great plain in the falling snow;
Ten thousand soldiers marched to and fro:
站在一个大平原上此时下着雪,
Looking for you and me, my dear, looking for you and me.
一万个士兵列队走来走去:
他们在找我和你,我亲爱的,他们在找我和你。