咏一只饿死在笼中的金翅雀金雯, 赵少阳 译

ON A GOLDFINCH STARVED TO DEATH IN HIS CAGE威廉·古柏


当我像风一样自由的时候,
Time was when I was free as air,
野蓟毛茸茸的种子是我的餐食,
The thistle's downy seed my fare,
我的饮料是清晨的露水;
My drink the morning dew;
我任意栖在一根小枝上,
I perch'd at will on every spray,
我绅士的风度,我亮丽的羽毛,
My form genteel, my plumage gay,
我的旋律永远是新的。
My strains for ever new.

但艳丽的羽毛,轻快的旋律,
But gaudy plumage, sprightly strain,
还有绅士的风度都是虚幻,
And form genteel were all in vain,
如同过眼云烟,
And of a transient date;
被抓住,被囚禁,饿死,
For, caught and caged, and starved to death,
我垂死的叹息
In dying sighs my little breath
孱弱地传过铁丝栅栏。
Soon pass'd the wiry grate.

谢谢,温柔的小伙,我所有的哀愁,
Thanks, gentle swain, for all my woes,
谢谢这有效的禁闭,
And thanks for this effectual close
还有对一切忧患的隔绝!
And cure of every ill!
不会有人能够更加残忍。
More cruelty could none express;
我,但凡你表现得再少一点,
And I, if you had shown me less,
还会是你笼中的囚徒。
Had been your prisoner still.


1780
1780
添加译本