我工作的房间,四四方方,
The room I work in is as foursquare
如一对骰子的一半。
as half a pair of dice.
里面放得下一张木桌,
It holds a wooden table
如一个倔强老农的廓影,
with a stubborn peasant’s profile,
一把松垮垮的扶手椅,一只茶壶
a sluggish armchair, and a teapot’s
撅着哈布斯堡王朝的嘴。
pouting Hapsburg’s lip.
窗外,几棵枯瘦的树,
From the window I see a few skinny trees,
几朵薄云,几个幼儿园孩子
wispy clouds, and toddles,
总是那么快乐而喧闹。
always happy and loud.
有时候,一扇挡风玻璃在远处发光,
Sometimes a windshield glints in the distance
或者更高处,一架飞机银壳闪烁。
or, higher up, an airplane’s silver husk.
很显然,我工作时
Clearly others aren’t wasting time
别人也没闲着,
while I work, seeking adventures
他们在地面或天空冒险。
on earth or in the air.
我工作的房间是照相机暗盒。
The room I work in is a camera obscura.
而我的工作是什么呢——
And what is my work -
一动不动地等待,
waiting motionless.
翻页,耐心寻思,
flipping pages, patient meditation,
这样的被动难以满足
passivities not pleasing
审判官的贪心注视。
to that judge with the greedy gaze.
我不紧不慢地写,仿佛可以活两百岁。
I write as slowly as if I’ll live two hundred years.
我寻找不存在的意象,
I seek images that don’t exist,
即使存在,也是卷缩,隐蔽的,
and if they do they’re crumpled and concealed
仿佛在冬天穿夏衣,
like summer clothes in winter,
冷霜刺痛嘴唇。
when frost stings the mouth.
我幻想一种绝对的专注,一旦进入
I dream of perfect concentration; if I found it
我会停止呼吸。
I’d surely stop breathing.
我写得少,也许这样很好。
maybe it’s good I get so little done.
毕竟,我听到了初雪的澌澌声,
But after all, I hear the first snow hissing,
日光的轻柔旋律,
the frail melody of daylight,
以及这个城市郁闷的隆隆声。
and the city’s gloomy rumble.
我从细小的源泉里饮水,
I drink from a small spring,
而我的渴大于一座海。
my thirst exceeds the ocean.