The Young Prince and the Young Princess约翰·阿什贝利

小王子和小公主赵毅衡 译


The grass cuts our feet as we wend our way
当我们穿越草地,草割痛了
Across the meadow-you, a child of thirteen
我们的脚--你,才十三岁
In a man's business suit far too big for you
穿着男人的制服,太大,这是象征,
A symbol of how long we have been together.
说明我们在一起已有多少年。

I pick the berries for us to eat
我采草莓,放在铁皮罐中,
Into a tin can and set it on a stump.
搁在树桩上,算一顿晚餐,
Soon or late, lateness comes.
夜晚或早或迟总要来临,
Crows come up out of the west.
而群鸦飞起,遮满了西天。

I want you to examine this solid block of darkness
我要你查看这禁闭我们的
In which we are imprisoned. But you say, No,
结实的黑夜,但你说,不。
You are tired. You turn over and sleep.
你太疲倦,翻身就睡着。
And I sleep, but in my sleep I hear horses carrying you away.
我也睡,梦中我听见马把你带走。

When the breeze is finished it is morning
当微风停歇,又是一个
Again. Wake up. It is time to start walking
早晨。醒来吧,是动身,
Into the heavenly wilderness. This morning, strangers
走进天庭荒野的时候。今晨,陌生人
Come down to the road to feed us. They are afraid to have us come so far.
给我们吃的,我们这么远走来使他们惊骇。

Thou by the Indian Ganges’ side
又是夜,但今夜有所不同,
Night comes, but this time it is a different one.
你走路时脚好像没有碰弯
Your feet scarcely seem to touch the grass
草叶;你对我十分信赖;
As you walk; you have confidence in me;
飞蛾碰撞我白炽的前额。
Moths bump my incandescent head


风声呼啸。就这样下去。总有一天
And I hear the wind. And so it goes. Some day
我们会醒来,因为我们从高崖
We will wake up, having fallen in the night
跌入了这白色的、宝贵的夜空。
From a high cliff into the white, precious sky.
你会说:“你和我,我们曾如此生活。”
You will say, 'That is how we lived, you and I.'


添加译本