“滚开,你这莽撞的小东西!”
"Begone, thou fond presumptuous Elf,"
我听到厉声叫喊,
Exclaimed an angry Voice,
“你怎敢愣头愣脑,在这里
"Nor dare to thrust thy foolish self
把我的去路阻拦!”
Between me and my choice!"
下雪后,小瀑布刚刚涨了水,
A small Cascade fresh swoln with snows
就这样吓唬可怜的野蔷薇;
Thus threatened a poor Briar-rose,
野蔷薇周身溅满了飞沫,
That, all bespattered with his foam,
它忽上忽下,颤动摇摆——
And dancing high and dancing low,
像晦气人家委屈的小孩,
Was living, as a child might know,
日子真不大好过。
In an unhappy home.
“你怎敢堵在我路上?小东西!
"Dost thou presume my course to block?
滚开!再不滚,我就
Off, off! or, puny Thing!
踢翻你扎根的石块,叫你
I'll hurl thee headlong with the rock
头朝下栽个跟头!”
To which thy fibres cling."
凶猛的洪流冲撞不休,
The Flood was tyrannous and strong;
野蔷薇耐着性子忍受,
The patient Briar suffered long,
既不叹一声,也不哼一下,
Nor did he utter groan or sigh,
只盼望平安度过这险境;
Hoping the danger would be past;
后来,见瀑布毫不留情,
But, seeing no relief, at last
便壮起胆子回答。
He ventured to reply.
野蔷薇说道:“你别来找碴儿,
"Ah!" said the Briar, "blame me not;
咱们何苦要吵架?
Why should we dwell in strife?
想当初,在这背静的旮旯儿,
We who in this sequestered spot
你和我多么融洽!
Once lived a happy life!
夏天里,石床上,你把我摇晃,
You stirred me on my rocky bed—
摇得我周身筋脉都欢畅;
What pleasure through my veins you spread
一天又一天,我片片绿叶
The summer long, from day to day,
被你滋润得舒爽清新;
My leaves you freshened and bedewed;
我呢,对你这一片好心,
Nor was it common gratitude
也用盛情来答谢。
That did your cares repay.
“当花朵含苞,春天来到,
"When spring came on with bud and bell,
我便在山石中间
Among these rocks did I
把花冠戴好,向你通报:
Before you hang my wreaths to tell
艳阳天近在眼前!
That gentle days were nigh!
夏天里,我在燥热的时辰,
And in the sultry summer hours
用花儿和叶子给你遮阴;
I sheltered you with leaves and flowers;
叶子呵,如今已零落满地,
And in my leaves—now shed and gone,
那时却引得红雀来栖身,
The linnet lodged, and for us two
为我们唱出宛转的清音;
Chanted his pretty songs, when you
你那时没什么声息。
Had little voice or none.
“如今你变得心高气傲,
"But now proud thoughts are in your breast—
眼见我遭罪受苦,
What grief is mine you see,
怎么不想想:咱俩在一道,
Ah! would you think, even yet how blest
能过得多么舒服!
Together we might be!
尽管我花儿叶子都落尽,
Though of both leaf and flower bereft,
却也留下了光鲜的装饰品——
Some ornaments to me are left—
蔷薇果,红通通,又密又多;
Rich store of scarlet hips is mine,
我待人温顺,如今在冬天,
With which I, in my humble way,
拿这些红果子把你来装点,
Would deck you many a winter day,
野蔷薇也就快活!”
A happy Eglantine!"
它是否还说了别的,不清楚;
What more he said I cannot tell,
瀑布轰鸣着,奔下石谷;
The Torrent down the rocky dell
别的我不曾听见;
Came thundering loud and fast;
野蔷薇在发抖;我真害怕——
I listened, nor aught else could hear;
惟恐它方才说的那番话
The Briar quaked—and much I fear
会是它最后遗言。
Those accents were his last.