Y.Z.的哀歌张曙光 译

Elegy for Y. Z.佚名 译

不要忘记你是国王之子。 
——马丁·布伯

Never forget that you are a son of the King.  — Martin Buber


你死后一年,亲爱的Y.Z. 
A year after your death, dear Y.Z.,
我从休斯顿飞往旧金山 
I flew from Houston to San Francisco
想起了我们在第三大街的会面 
And remembered our meeting on Third Avenue
彼此产生了强烈的好感。 
When we took such a liking to each other.
你告诉我,在孩子时,你从没见过森林, 
You told me then that as a child you had never seen a forest,
只有窗子外面的一堵砖墙, 
Only a brick wall outside a window,
我为你难过,因为 
And I felt sorry for you because
被剥夺这么多的特权是我们的命运。 
So much disinheritance is our portion.
假如你是国王的女儿,你就不会明白。 
If you were the king’s daughter, you didn’t know it.
没有城堡在两条河流交汇处的祖国, 
No fatherland with a castle at the meeting of two rivers,
没有六月祭神时蓝色烟雾中的队伍。 
No procession in June in the blue smoke of incense.
你很谦和。没有提出问题。 
You were humble and did not ask questions.

You shrugged: who after all am I
你耸耸肩:我到底是谁 
To walk in splendor wearing a myrtle wreath?
戴着桃金娘花冠走在霞光中? 
Fleshly, woundable, pitiable, ironic,
性感,脆弱,受人同情,冷嘲, 
You went with men casually, out of unconcern,
你随便地和男人们走着,出于漫不经心, 
And smoked as if you were courting cancer.
而怀疑你似乎得了癌症。 
I knew your dream: to have a home
我了解你的梦;有一个家 
With curtains and a flower to be watered in the morning.
窗帘和一盆在早晨浇水的花。 
That dream was to come true, to no avail.
这个梦变得真实,无济于事。 
And our past moment: the mating of birds
了解我们过去的瞬间:鸟儿们交尾 
Without intent, reflection, nearly airborne
没有目的,自然反射,接近风媒 
Over the splendor of autumn dogwoods and maples;
在秋天山茱英和枫树的光辉之上。 
Even in our memory it left hardly a trace.
即使在我们的记忆里它很难留下痕迹。 
I am grateful, for I learned something from you,
我感激,因为从你那里学到了一些东西。 
Though I haven’t been able to capture it in words:
虽然我还不能用语言捕捉: 
On this earth, where there is no palm and no scepter,
在这个没有荣誉和权杖的世界, 
Under a sky that rolls up like a tent,
在像帐篷卷起的一片天空下, 
Some compassion for us people, some goodness
人们给了我们一些怜悯,一些仁慈 
And, simply, tenderness, dear Y. Z.
以及,简单地说。体贴。亲爱的Y . Z , 


P.S. Really I am more concerned than words would indicate.
附言:我确实比语言表明的更关心。 
I perform a pitiful rite for all of us.
我为我们所有人履行着令人同情的仪式。 
I would like everyone to know they are the king’s children
我想要每个人都知道他们是国王的孩子 
And to be sure of their immortal souls,
并确信他们不朽的灵魂, 
I.e., to believe that what is most their own is imperishable
即,相信他们自身是不朽的 
And persists like the things they touch,
并坚持喜爱他们触摸到的事物, 
Now seen by me beyond time’s border:
此刻越过时间的界限被我看到: 
Her comb, her tube of cream, and her lipstick
她的梳子、她的面霜,和她的唇膏 
On an extramundane table.
在一个超越现世的桌子上。


添加译本