我在星空下散步,
Under a starry sky I was taking a walk,
在山脊上眺望城市的灯火,
On a ridge overlooking neon cities,
带着我的伙伴,那颗凄凉的灵魂,
With my companion, the spirit of desolation,
它游荡并在说教,
Who was running around and sermonizing,
说起我不是必然地,如果不是我,那么另一个人
Saying that I was not necessary, for if not I, then someone else
也会来到这里,试图理解他的时代。
Would be walking here, trying to understand his age.
即便我很久以前死去也不会有变化。
Had I died long ago nothing would have changed.
那些相同的星辰,城市和乡村
The same stars, cities and countries
将会被另外的眼睛观望。
Would have been seen with other eyes.
世界和它的劳作将一如既往。
The world and its labors would go on as they do.
For Christ’s sake, get away from me.
看在基督份上,离开我,
You’ve tormented me enough, I said.
我说,你已经折磨够我。
It’s not up to me to judge the calling of men.
不应由我来判断人们的召唤。
And my merits, if any, I won’t know anyway.
而我的价值,如果有,无论如何我不知晓。