亮点与空隙柳向阳 译

Highlights and Interstices杰克·吉尔伯特


我们以为漫长一生大多是例外
We think of lifetimes as mostly the exceptional
和悲伤。婚姻(我们想起的是孩子),
and sorrows. Marriage we remember as the children,
假期,还有急事。不寻常的部分。
vacations, and emergencies. The uncommon parts.
但最美好的,经常是无事发生时。
But the best is often when nothing is happening.
像一个母亲抱起孩子而几乎没有
The way a mother picks up the child almost without
注意,带着她穿过沃勒街,
noticing and carries her across Waller Street
一边与其他女人聊天。将会怎样
while talking with the other woman. What if she
如果她能继续这样?我们的生活发生
could keep all of that? Our lives happen between
在难忘之事的间歇里。我已经失去二千次
the memorable. I have lost two thousand habitual
和美智子惯常的早餐。我对她最怀念的
breakfasts with Michiko. What I miss most about
是我再也回忆不起来的那种平淡。
her is that commonplace I can no longer remember.


添加译本