I looked in the empty window
我望进这扇空空的窗子
Where your easel stood in shadow
你的画架立在暗处
And the broom leaned in the corner
扫帚靠在角落里
As I left it, after sweeping,
仍是我离开前,打扫了的样子
When we cleared away your paintings, and you packed them in the car.
那会儿我们清理了你的画作,你把它们打包放在车上。
I stood there in the twilight
我站在那儿,在暮光中
And I felt the surge of darkness
感觉到黑暗的潮涌
As it flooded from the rafters
从屋椽淌下
And came down to touch your door
一直触碰到你的大门
In the softening of the moonlight, and the cooling of the day.
在月色的消融,与白日的冰冷里。
I remembered how the saddle
我记得,那张马鞍
Hung along the whitewashed wall, and
是怎样挂在涂成雪白的墙上,还有
The black outlines of your drawings,
你的画,一张张黑色的线图
And the blurred shapes gathering volume
模糊的形体是怎样堆聚
As you worked there in the sunlight, with a book beside you hand.
你就在那阳光里工作,还有一本书在你手边。
I remembered how the thunder
我记得那雷声
Broke one day when we were talking
轰破我们那一天的闲谈
And we rose and watched sky blacken
我们起身,看着天空暗去
In the courtyard, and the rain
在庭院里,而雨水
Came and slanted down your window, and we lay and watched in slide.
掉落、倾倒在你的窗子,而我们缓缓地躺下,观看。
I stood, and darkness thickened
我站着,黑暗更浓
As it drifted from the zenith,
它从天穹下坠,
And I felt the cold of night seep
我感到夜的冰寒
Through the thinness of my shirt
渗透衬衣的纤薄
As I turned away in silence, and the moon shone round and full.
当我在寂静中转身离开,月球的光亮浑圆而饱满。
I came in to this bare table
我走进来,在空荡荡的桌边
By my window, where the noise
靠着我的窗子,高速路上
Of late traffic from the freeway
晚归车流的噪音
Shook the balance of my mind,
撼动着我的思绪,
And I felt your image tremble, and I moved to hold it still.
我感到你的影像在颤抖,于是我过去,抱稳了它。