Mid-Term Break谢默斯·希尼

期中假期吴德安 译


I sat all morning in the college sick bay
整个上午我都坐在学校的医院里
Counting bells knelling classes to a close.
下课的铃铛不断发出丧钟般的声音。
At two o'clock our neighbors drove me home.
下午两点,邻居开车接我回家。

In the porch I met my father crying--
在门廊里我看到父亲在哭泣
He had always taken funerals in his stride--
在以往所有的丧礼中他都能应付自如
And Big Jim Evans saying it was a hard blow.
吉米大叔说这次真是一个沉重的打击。

The baby cooed and laughed and rocked the pram
我进门时,婴儿在笑着呀呀学语
When I came in, and I was embarrassed
晃动童年,让我不好意思的是
By old men standing up to shake my hand
大人们都站起来和我握手

And tell me they were 'sorry for my trouble,'
还对我说他们“很同情我的遭遇”。
Whispers informed strangers I was the eldest,
人们耳语着告诉陌生客人我是长子,
Away at school, as my mother held my hand
长期住校,妈妈将我的手

In hers and coughed out angry tearless sighs.
握在她的手中,咳出哀怨不已无泪的叹息。
At ten o'clock the ambulance arrived
十点整救护车拉来了
With the corpse, stanched and bandaged by the nurses.
尸体,浑身已被护士清洗干净缠满绷带。

Next morning I went up into the room. Snowdrops
第二天早上我到楼上停尸的房间,鲜花
And candles soothed the bedside; I saw him
和蜡烛抚慰地放在床边;这是六个星期来
For the first time in six weeks. Paler now,
我第一次看到弟弟。现在他更加苍白。

Wearing a poppy bruise on his left temple,
左边太阳穴上留着暗红的伤痕,
He lay in the four foot box as in his cot.
躺在一个四英尺长的小盒子里就像睡在床上。
No gaudy scars, the bumper knocked him clear.
没有多彩的伤疤,汽车干净利落地将他撞飞。

A four foot box, a foot for every year.
四英尺的盒子,一英尺代表他一年的寿命。


1972
添加译本