期中假期吴德安 译

Mid-Term Break谢默斯·希尼


整个上午我都坐在学校的医院里
I sat all morning in the college sick bay
下课的铃铛不断发出丧钟般的声音。
Counting bells knelling classes to a close.
下午两点,邻居开车接我回家。
At two o'clock our neighbors drove me home.

在门廊里我看到父亲在哭泣
In the porch I met my father crying--
在以往所有的丧礼中他都能应付自如
He had always taken funerals in his stride--
吉米大叔说这次真是一个沉重的打击。
And Big Jim Evans saying it was a hard blow.

我进门时,婴儿在笑着呀呀学语
The baby cooed and laughed and rocked the pram
晃动童年,让我不好意思的是
When I came in, and I was embarrassed
大人们都站起来和我握手
By old men standing up to shake my hand

还对我说他们“很同情我的遭遇”。
And tell me they were 'sorry for my trouble,'
人们耳语着告诉陌生客人我是长子,
Whispers informed strangers I was the eldest,
长期住校,妈妈将我的手
Away at school, as my mother held my hand

握在她的手中,咳出哀怨不已无泪的叹息。
In hers and coughed out angry tearless sighs.
十点整救护车拉来了
At ten o'clock the ambulance arrived
尸体,浑身已被护士清洗干净缠满绷带。
With the corpse, stanched and bandaged by the nurses.

第二天早上我到楼上停尸的房间,鲜花
Next morning I went up into the room. Snowdrops
和蜡烛抚慰地放在床边;这是六个星期来
And candles soothed the bedside; I saw him
我第一次看到弟弟。现在他更加苍白。
For the first time in six weeks. Paler now,

左边太阳穴上留着暗红的伤痕,
Wearing a poppy bruise on his left temple,
躺在一个四英尺长的小盒子里就像睡在床上。
He lay in the four foot box as in his cot.
没有多彩的伤疤,汽车干净利落地将他撞飞。
No gaudy scars, the bumper knocked him clear.

四英尺的盒子,一英尺代表他一年的寿命。
A four foot box, a foot for every year.


1972
添加译本