当死亡来临倪志娟 译

When Death Comes玛丽·奥利弗


当死亡来临
When death comes
如秋天饥饿的熊;
like the hungry bear in autumn;
当死亡来临,掏出钱包中所有崭新的钱币
when death comes and takes all the bright coins from his purse

来买我,再啪地合上钱包;
to buy me, and snaps the purse shut;
当死亡来临
when death comes
如麻疹
like the measle-pox

当死亡来临
when death comes
如肩胛骨间的一座冰山,
like an iceberg between the shoulder blades,

我想穿过门,充满好奇,想知道:
I want to step through the door full of curiosity, wondering:
它会是什么样子,那黑暗的小屋?
what is it going to be like, that cottage of darkness?

因而,我视一切
And therefore I look upon everything
如同兄弟姐妹,
as a brotherhood and a sisterhood,
我视时间只是一个念头,
and I look upon time as no more than an idea,
我想到永恒是另一种可能性,
and I consider eternity as another possibility,

我将每一个生命看作一朵花,和野菊花一样
and I think of each life as a flower, as common
平常,又独特,
as a field daisy, and as singular,

而每个名字是唇中舒缓的音乐,
and each name a comfortable music in the mouth,
就像所有的音乐,趋向沉默,
tending, as all music does, toward silence,

而每一个身体是一头勇敢的狮子,对于地球而言
and each body a lion of courage, and something
珍贵无比。
precious to the earth.

当一切结束,我将说终此一生
When it's over, I want to say all my life
我是惊奇的新娘。
I was a bride married to amazement.
我是新郎,怀抱着世界。
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

当一切结束,我不想知道
When it's over, I don't want to wonder
我是否度过了特别而真实的一生。
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.

我不愿发现自己叹息并惊恐,
I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
或者充满争辩。
or full of argument.

我不愿只在世上走一遭就死去。
I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.


添加译本