Love set you going like a fat gold watch.
爱发动你,像个胖乎乎的金表。
The midwife slapped your footsoles, and your bald cry
助产士拍拍年的脚掌,你无头发的叫喊
Took its place among the elements.
在世界万物中占定一席之地
Our voices echo, magnifying your arrival. New statue.
我们是声音呼应,放大了你的到来。新的雕像。
In a drafty museum, your nakedness
在多风的博物馆里,你的赤裸
Shadows our safety. We stand round blankly as walls.
使我的安全蒙上阴影。我们围站着,墙一般空白。
I’m no more your mother
云渗下一面镜子,映出他自己
Than the cloud that distills a mirror to reflect its own slow
在风的手中慢慢消失的形象,
Effacement at the wind’s hand.
我比云更不像你的母亲。
All night your moth-breath
整夜,你飞蛾般的呼吸
Flickers among the flat pink roses. I wake to listen:
在单调的红玫瑰间闪动。我醒来静听:
A far sea moves in my ear.
我耳中有个远方的大海。
One cry, and I stumble from bed, cow-heavy and floral
一声哭,我出床上滚下,母牛般笨重,
In my Victorian nightgown.
穿着维多利亚式睡衣满身花纹。
Your mouth opens clean as a cat’s. The window square
你嘴张开,干净得像猫的嘴。方形的窗
Whitens and swallows its dull stars. And now you try
变白,吞没了暗淡的星。而你现在
Your handful of notes;
试唱你满手的音符
The clear vowels rise like balloons.
清脆的元音像汽球般升起。