告诉我为什么近日我们不提高嗓门
Tell me why it is wedon’t lift our voices these days
为眼下发生的一切而呼喊。你注意到吗
And cry over what ishappening. Have you noticed
对付伊拉克大计已定、冰川正在融化?
The plans are made forIraq and the ice cap is melting?
我对自己说:『继续呼喊。身为成人
I say to myself:"Go on, cry. What’s the sense
而不表态有何意义?大声疾呼!
Of being an adult andhaving no voice? Cry out!
看谁回应!这就是呼唤与响应!』
See who will answer!This is Call and Answer!"
我们必须格外大声地呼唤
We will have to callespecially loud to reach
我们的天使,他们耳背;他们躲在
Our angels, who arehard of hearing; they are hiding
战争时期装满沉默的罐子里。
In the jugs of silencefilled during our wars.
已经默许了那么多场战争
Have we agreed to somany wars that we can’t
我们还能再沉默吗?
Escape from silence?If we don’t lift our voices, we allow
如果不提高嗓音我们便是
Others (who areourselves) to rob the house.
允许他人(即我们自己)去抢劫家园。
How come we’ve listenedto the great criers—Neruda,
我们曾经倾听过伟大的呼唤者─ 聂鲁达、
Akhmatova, Thoreau,Frederick Douglass—and now
阿赫玛托娃、梭罗、弗雷德里克. 道格拉斯─
We’re silent assparrows in the little bushes?
为何现在却象小灌木*丛中的麻雀一样沉默?
Some masters say ourlife lasts only seven days.
某些大师说我们的生命只有七天。
Where are we in theweek? Is it Thursday yet?
现在是星期几?星期四已到了吗?
Hurry, cry now! SoonSunday night will come.
快,呼叫吧!周日夜晚即将来临。