In the clinic, a sun-bleached shell of stone
在诊所里,一个被太阳漂白的石制贝壳
on the shore of the city, you enter
坐落在这个城市的海滨,你进入
the last small chamber, a little closet
最后一个小房间,一个小小的壁橱*
chastened with pearl, cool, white, and glistening.
用珍珠磨炼而成,清凉、洁白、晶莹,
and over the chilly well of the toilet
在阴冷的马桶凹槽上
you trickle your precious sum in a cup.
你把你珍贵的全部滴在一个杯子里。
It's as simple as that. But the heat
就这么简单。但是
of this gold your body's melted and poured out
你身体熔化和倾泻出来的这黄金的热度
into a form begins to enthrall you,
变成一种形式开始让你着迷,
warming your hand with your fesh's fevers
温暖你的手用你肉体的热病
in a terrible way. It's like holding
以一种可怕的方式。这就像托着
an organ-spleen or fatty pancreas,
一个器官——脾或肥大的胰脏,
a lobe from your foamy brain still steaming
一瓣脑叶取自你起泡的大脑还在冒着蒸汽
with worry. You know that just outside
与忧虑。你知道就在外面
a nurse is waiting to cool it into a gel
一位护士正等着把它冷却成凝胶
and slice it onto a microscope slide
切片到显微镜载玻片上
for the doctor, who in it will read your future.
给那位医生,他将在上面读取你的未来,
wringing his hands. You lift the chalice and toast
绞着他的双手。你举起酒杯
the long life of your friend there in the mirror,
祝镜子里你的朋友长寿,
who wanly smiles, but does not drink to you.
他虚弱地微笑,却不为你干杯。