The Sun sank in the thunderous sky of the town,
夕阳沉入城镇雷电交加的天空,
And I rose in the glittering hall and strode through the people
我从闪光的大厅中起身阔步穿过人群
And went to my room, and laid me down with a Spirit–
来到我的屋中,和一个精灵躺在一起——
There was lightning out in the land beyond my window.
在我窗外闪电击打着大地。
Black was the night where lay that shining Spirit,
如此黑的夜里躺着如此闪亮的精灵,
That slim, white, glimmering body, my soul’s companion
那苗条的,白皙的,闪光的身体,我的灵魂的伴侣
And the trees and rocks and waters and hills around me
那树木那岩石那水那山环绕着我
Stood black and mournful in flashes about my bed.
黝黑悲伤地树立在我床边的闪电中。
The trees that were drooping around, the rocks and waters,
垂立周围的树木,岩石和水,
The gloom-hung hills, the carven and frenzied silences
那郁郁的小山,那雕刻出的疯狂寂静
Then worshipped that glimmering body, that white cascade
那被崇拜的闪亮身体,那白色瀑布
That shone in my dark-hung cavern dug out of the sky.
在我从天空开凿出的黑色洞穴中熠熠发光。
And I wondered how long ere the bolt should fall and destroy us,
我好奇还有多久那闪电会从天而降毁灭我们,
Ere we should go out like the spurt of a match in the darkness
还有多久我们会如黑暗中的一根火柴而喷发
Having one glimpse of that wild and passionate country,
只需看一眼那狂野的乡村,
Those woods and ravines dark-graven by summer lightning;
那被夏夜闪电黑成剪影的树木和渡鸦。
And I stared at the wall and the little distant window,
于是我瞪视着墙壁和稍远的窗户,
The world shrivelled up to a low and far horizon,
这个世界萎缩成为且低且远的地平线,
To a few bare hills in a sudden flash of lightning,
只余下时时迸发的闪电中几座赤裸的小山,
And the glimmering Spirit I kissed in the gloom beside me.
以及在我在身边的黑暗中亲吻的闪闪发光的精灵。