谁创造了世界?
Who made the world?
谁创造了天鹅、黑熊?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
谁创造了蚱蜢?
Who made the grasshopper?
这一只蚱蜢,我是说——
This grasshopper, I mean—
突然从草丛里一跃而出的这一只,
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
正吃着我手里的糖的这一只,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
她正前后移动她的双颚,而不是上下移动——
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down—
她正左顾右盼,用她巨大而复杂的眼睛。
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
此刻,她抬起柔弱的前足,一丝不苟地洗着脸。
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
此刻,她呼啦啦一声展开双翅,飘然而去。
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
我不知道一个祈祷者到底是什么样子。
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
但我确实知道怎样专心致志,怎样
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
降落到草丛里,怎样在草丛里长跪,
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
怎样悠闲而心怀感恩,怎样在田野里游荡,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
而这正是我整日所做的。
which is what I have been doing all day.
告诉我,我还应该做什么?
Tell me, what else should I have done?
难道万物不都是转瞬之间,终将消逝?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
告诉我,你打算做什么
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
用你野性而精致的一生?
with your one wild and precious life?