就连房屋中介都试图劝你
Even the estate agent tried to dissuade you.
这隔音的房顶,不知通向何处的
The soundproof vault, the staircases leading
楼梯,地下室的炉窑
to nowhere, the firebrick kiln in the basement
散发着外科医生诊室的气味
with the scent of a surgeon’s suite
更不用说你那浣熊眼房东
not to mention your raccoon-eyed landlord
整夜在灯火通明的走廊里走来走去
jangling all night around the strip-lit corridors
玎玲珰琅,腰里挂着食人魔拳头大小的钥匙
with an ogre’s fist of keys hanging from his belt,
还吹着口哨,把贴有特百惠标签的
whistling whilst stacking Sellotaped towers
生肉堆满好几个冷柜
of meaty Tupperware into multiple chest freezers
但你却说租金划算,就直接
but you said the rent was reasonable and moved
搬了进来。我去看你,你的头发
straight in. When I visited, your hair already
已经散发出福尔马林的味道,还有其他
smelt of formaldehyde and something else
难以说清的东西。但你却说 "很喜欢这里"。
unplaceable but you said you “quite liked it”
甚至,就连警察 "也没发现什么"。当我问及
plus, the police had “found nothing”. And when I
为什么一栋房子需要二十七个烟囱时,
asked why a house needed twenty-seven chimneys,
你只是眨眨眼睛,指责我 "太入戏"。
you just blinked and accused me of “being dramatic”.
又过一段日子,你不再接待访客。
After a while you stopped entertaining guests.
当我敲门,你只是滑开门链,声称
When I knocked, you slid the chain, claiming
自己刚洗完澡,还裹着浴巾
to be towel-wrapped and fresh from the shower
虽然我有两次看见你在门内,穿着鞋子
although twice I saw your shoe in the door
当我通过信箱向你大喊
and when I’d shout through the letterbox
"亲爱的,求你了,你住的是凶宅!"
“Sweetheart. Please. You’re living in a murder house!”
你只回答 "那我为什么还没死?"
you’d simply reply “Then why aren’t I dead?”
然后迈开你透明的双腿轻轻走去。
and pad softly away on your transparent legs.