Siawashing It Out Once in Siuslaw Forest
1露宿西斯的洛森林
I slept under rhododendron
我睡在杜鹃花下
All night blossoms fell
整晚落英纷纷
Shivering on a sheet of cardboard
躺在一张硬纸壳上发抖
Feet stuck in my pack
双脚伸进背包里
Hands deep in my pockets
双手插进衣兜里
Barely able to sleep.
几乎不能入睡。
I remembered when we were in school
我记起学生时代
Sleeping together in a big warm bed
一起睡在一张温暖的大床上
We were the youngest lovers
我们曾是最年轻的恋人。
When we broke up we were still nineteen.
分手时我们都才19岁。
Now our friends are married
现在我们的朋友都结婚了
You teach school back east
你又回到东部教书
I dont mind living this way
我并不在乎这样生活
Green hills the long blue beach
绿色的群山漫长的蓝色海岸。
But sometimes sleeping in the open
但有时在露天睡觉
I think back when I had you.
我就会想起曾经拥有你。
A Spring Night in Shokoku-ji
2禅寺春夜
Eight years ago this May
八年前的这个五月
We walked under cherry blossoms
晚上我们漫步在俄勒岗
At night in an orchard in Oregon.
一个花园的樱花树下。
All that I wanted then
那时我想要的一切
Is forgotten now, but you.
现在全忘了,除了你。
Here is the night
在这夜色中
In a garden of the old capital
在古都的花园中
I feel the trembling ghost of Yugao
我感到了幽灵的颤动
I remember your cool body
我记起你沁凉的胴体
Naked under a summer cotton dress.
在一件棉织的夏裙下裸露。
An Autumn Morning in Shokoku-ji
3禅寺秋日拂晓
Last night watching the Pleiades,
昨夜观看昂宿座
Breath smoking in the moonlight,
月光里,呼吸如烟
Bitter memory like vomit
痛苦的回忆像从胃里涌上来的食物
Choked my throat.
卡住喉咙。
I unrolled a sleeping bag
我打开睡袋
On mats on the porch
铺在走廊席子上
Under thick autumn stars.
在秋夜的繁星下。
In dream you appeared
梦中你出现
(Three times in nine years)
(这是九年当中的第三次)
Wild, cold, and accusing.
野蛮、冰冷、指责着我。
I woke shamed and angry:
我羞愧地醒来,感到恼怒
The pointless wars of the heart.
没有必要的内心斗争。
Almost dawn. Venus and Jupiter.
天快亮了。金星和木星
The first time I have
我第一次看到
Ever seen them close.
它们靠得那么近。
December at Yase
4十二月在亚瑟*
You said, that October,
你说,那年十月
In the tall dry grass by the orchard
在果园边高高的干草垛上
When you chose to be free,
当你选择了解脱
"Again, someday, maybe ten years."
“某日重新爱,也许是十年光景。”
After college I saw you
大学毕业后,我见过
One time. You were strange.
你一次,已经陌生。
And I was obsessed with a plan.
而我正痴迷于别的念头。
现在十多年的时光已经
Now ten years and more have
流走:我一直都知道
Gone by: I've always known
你在哪里
where you where—
我可以凭着重获
I might have gone to you
爱情的希望去找你
Hoping to win your love back.
你一直是单身。
You still are single.
我没有。
I didn't.
我想我必须这样维持下去。我
I thought I must make it alone. I
就这样做了。
Have done that.
只有在梦里,像今天拂晓
Only in dream, like this dawn,
我们年轻的恋情
Does the grave, awed intensity
以严峻、令人敬畏的强度
Of our young love
返回我的精神、我的肉体
Return to my mind, to my flesh.
我们有过别人全部的
We had what the others
渴念与欲求:
All crave and seek for;
我们把它留给了十九岁。
We left it behind at nineteen.
我感到老掉牙了,尽管我
I feel ancient, as though I had
有过许多种生活,
Lived many lives.
并且也许绝不是现在知道的
如果我是傻瓜
And may never now know
或者做过那些
If I am a fool
我命运要求的。
Or have done what my
karma demands.