In rainy September when leaves grow down to the dark
多雨的九月,当叶子低垂,日渐灰暗,
I put my forehead down to the damp seaweed-smelling sand.
我将前额伏在海藻腥涩的潮湿沙滩。
What can we do but choose? The only way for human beings
时机已经到来。我已将选择的义务推迟了多年,
is to choose. The fern has no choice but to live;
或许推迟了几生几世。蕨类没有选择,只是活着;
for this crime it receives earth water and night.
就因为这罪过,它才承受大地、水和黑夜。
we close the door. "I have no claim on you."
我们关上门。“我无权对你提出要求”。
Dusk comes. "The love I have had with you is enough."
黄昏来临。“能与你共享这份爱情,已经足够”。
We know we could live apart from the flock.
我们知道我们天各一方也能够生活。
The sheldrake floats apart from the flock.
毕竟,秋沙鸭会离群孤飞。
The oaktree puts out leaves alone on the lonely hillside.
橡树独自在孤山脚下将叶子脱落。
Men and women before us have accomplished this.
我们之前的男男女女已经做到了这一点。
I would see you and you me once a year.
一年一次,我会去看你,你也能来见我。
We would be two kernels and not be planted.
我们是两颗谷粒,不会被播种发芽。
We stay in the room door closed lights out.
我们蛰伏在房间里,关着门,熄了灯。
I weep with you without shame and without honor.
我陪你一同抽泣,不以为羞,顾不得尊严。