A little black thing among the snow,
雪地里一个小黑点,
Crying "weep! 'weep!" in notes of woe!
哭着“扫,扫”,叫人怜!
"Where are thy father and mother? say?"
“你的爹妈在哪儿?说呀!”
"They are both gone up to the church to pray.
“他们都去礼拜堂祈祷啦。
Because I was happy upon the heath,
“我在荒野里曾经很快乐,
And smil'd among the winter's snow,
还在冬天的雪里欢笑,
They clothed me in the clothes of death,
他们就让我穿上黑衣,
And taught me to sing the notes of woe.
叫我唱起悲伤的小调。
And because I am happy and dance and sing,
“我还是快乐,又跳又唱,
They think they have done me no injury,
爹妈就以为没把我害够,
And are gone to praise God and his Priest and King,
就去赞美上帝、神父和国王——
Who make up a heaven of our misery."
是他们在我们的苦难上建起天堂。”