If the red slayer think he slays,
血污的杀人者若以为他杀了人,
Or if the slain think he is slain,
死者若以为他已经披杀戮,
They know not well the subtle ways
他们是对我玄妙的道了解不深——
I keep, and pass, and turn again.
我离去而又折回的道路。
Far or forgot to me is near;
遥远的,被遗忘的,如在我目前;
Shadow and sunlight are the same;
阴影与日光完全相仿;
The vanished gods to me appear;
消火了的神祗仍在我之前出现;
And one to me are shame and fame.
荣辱于我都是一样。
They reckon ill who leave me out;
忘了我的人,他是失算;
When me they fly, I am the wings;
逃避我的人,我是他的两翅;
I am the doubter and the doubt,
我是怀疑者.同时也是那疑团,
I am the hymn the Brahmin sings.
而我是那僧侣,也是他唱诵的圣诗。
The strong gods pine for my abode,
有力的神道渴慕我的家宅,
And pine in vain the sacred Seven;
七圣徒也同样痴心妄想;
But thou, meek lover of the good!
但是你——谦卑的爱善者!
Find me, and turn thy back on heaven.
你找到了我,而抛弃了天堂!