银杏、杨木、针栎、香枫、百合树:
Ginkgo, cottonwood, pin oak, sweet gum, tulip tree:
我们滋长的情感像叶子
our emotions resemble leaves and alive
活在自己的形状里。
to their shapes we are nourished.
在高大的挪威枫边缘,你有没有感觉到
Have you felt the expanse and contours of grief
浓浓的忧伤的轮廓?
along the edges of a big Norway maple?
你是否因为橙色火焰
Have you winced at the orange flare
在北美山茱萸卷起的花瓣上燃烧而退缩?
searing the curves of a curling dogwood?
我从空中看到过树木被砍伐的岛屿,
I have seen from the air logged islands,
都有碎石小路,交错如网,
each with a network of branching gravel roads,
我感到片刻纯粹的愤怒,山杨般金黄。
and felt a moment of pure anger, aspen gold.
我曾看到沙丘鹤漫步旷野,
I have seen sandhill cranes moving in an open field,
鹤群中一只白鹤在鸣叫。
a single white whooping crane in the flock.
我曾行走于那些
And I have traveled along the contours
无名叶子的边缘,
of leaves that have no name. Here
这里空气潮湿,寒光凛冽。
where the air is wet and the light is cool,
我感觉到别人想到,却没有说出的东西,
I feel what others are thinking and do not speak,
我熟知一棵糖枫叶脉里的欣喜,
I know pleasure in the veins of a sugar maple,
我正活在一片新叶的边缘。
I am living at the edge of a new leaf.