寂静的世界冬至 译

The Quiet World杰夫·迈克丹尼尔


为了能让人们更多地
In an effort to get people to look
注视彼此的眼睛,
into each other’s eyes more,
同时抚慰哑巴,
and also to appease the mutes,
政府决定
the government has decided
给每个人每天精确分配
to allot each person exactly one hundred  
一百六十七个字。
and sixty-seven words, per day.

当电话响起,我在耳边接听
When the phone rings, I put it to my ear  
不说你好。在餐厅,
without saying hello. In the restaurant  
我指向鸡汤面。
I point at chicken noodle soup.
我积极适应着新方式。


I am adjusting well to the new way.
深夜,我给远方的情人打电话,
Late at night, I call my long distance lover,  
自豪地说,“今天只用五十九,
proudly say I only used fifty-nine today.  
省下给你。”
I saved the rest for you.

当时她没有回应,
When she doesn’t respond,
我知道她用光了她所有的字,
I know she’s used up all her words,  
所以我缓慢地轻声说“我爱你”
so I slowly whisper I love you
三十二又三分之一遍。
thirty-two and a third times.
之后,我们就连着线
After that, we just sit on the line  
倾听彼此的呼吸。
and listen to each other breathe.


添加译本