Late December: my father and I
十二月底,我的父亲和我
are going to New York, to the circus.
去纽约,去马戏团
He holds me
他驮着我
on his shoulders in the bitter wind:
在他的肩膀上,在寒风中:
scraps of white paper
白色的碎纸片
blow over the railroad ties.
在铁路的枕木上方飞舞
My father liked
我的父亲喜欢
to stand like this, to hold me
就这样站着,驮着我
so he couldn't see me.
所以他看不见我。
I remember
我仍记得
staring straight ahead
我笔直地盯着前方
into the world my father saw;
望向我父亲所看到的世界里;
I was learning
我试着学习
to absorb its emptiness,
独自吸收他的空虚
the heavy snow
硕大的雪花
not falling, whirling around us.
它不落下,它绕着我们飞旋