信札黄杲炘 译

The Letters丁尼生


风向标静止在塔楼顶上,
Still on the tower stood the vane,
黑紫衫遮暗凝滞的空气;
A black yew gloom'd the stagnant air;
透过圣坛后的玻璃一望,
I peer'd athwart the chancel pane
我看到祭坛前冷清空寂。
And saw the altar cold and bare.
铅块像是绑上了我的脚,
A clog of lead was round my feet,
我整个头颅一阵阵剧痛;
A band of pain across my brow;
“冷冷的祭坛哪,在你听到
'Cold altar, heaven and earth shall meet
我的婚誓前,天地将合拢。”
Before you hear my marriage vow.'

我转脸哼一支苦涩小曲,
I turn'd and humm'd a bitter song
它嘲笑的是人心的宽厚;
That mock'd the wholesome human heart,
接着我们在怨毒中相遇,
And then we met in wrath and wrong,
而相遇只是意味着分手。
We met, but only meant to part.
我的问候话冷淡而干涩;
Full cold my greeting was and dry;
她似笑非笑,没怎么动弹;
She faintly smiled, she hardly moved;
她穿着我所赞同的颜色,
I saw with half-unconscious eye
可对此我似乎视而未见。
She wore the colors I approved.

她把小小象牙匣拿在手,
She took the little ivory chest,
微微叹口气扭动了钥匙,
With half a sigh she turn'd the key,
然后抿紧着嘴唇抬起头,
Then raised her head with lips comprest,
将我那些信还到我手里。
And gave my letters back to me;
又还我指环等等小饰品,
And gave the trinkets and the rings,
这些曾使她快活的礼物——
My gifts, when gifts of mine could please.
如今我看着它们的神情,
As looks a father on the things
像父亲看着儿子的遗物。
Of his dead son, I look'd on these.

她讲到她朋友们的言辞,
She told me all her friends had said;
那流言蜚语快把我气疯;
I raged against the public liar;
说话中她似乎爱心已死,
She talk'd as if her love were dead,
而我的话中却有着火种。
But in my words were seeds of fire.
“还谈什么爱,这就是女人;
'No more of love, your sex is known;
这种当我再不上第二回。
I never will be twice deceived.
从今后我只能信任男人,
Henceforth I trust the man alone,
决不能再信任女流之辈。
The woman cannot be believed.

“谣言是地狱最贱的产物,
'Thro' slander, meanest spawn of hell, —
而女人的造谣最最凶狠,
And women's slander is the worst, —
我爱你爱得是那样专注,
And you, whom once I loved so well,
可谣言和你将毁我一生。”
Thro' you my life will be accurst.'
我那激动激烈的心里话
I spoke with heart and heat and force,
隐隐使她惊恐的心乱跳——
I shook her breast with vague alarms —
像两股急流从山上冲下,
Like torrents from a mountain source
我们扑进了对方的怀抱。
We rush'd into each other's arms.

我们分别时星星在闪烁,
We parted; sweetly gleam'd the stars,
烟雾缭绕的蓝天有多美;
And sweet the vapor-braided blue;
我从教堂边朝着家中走,
Low breezes fann'd the belfry bars,
微风把钟楼栅栏轻轻吹。
As homeward by the church I drew.
连一个个墓仿佛都在笑,
The very graves appear'd to smile,
起伏在阴影中显得清新;
So fresh they rose in shadow'd swells;
“幽暗的门廊、寂静的通道,”
'Dark porch,' I said, 'and silent aisle,
我说,“传来了婚礼的钟声。”
There comes a sound of marriage bells.'


添加译本