在家,披着我的法兰绒袍子,像一头熊对着它的浮冰,
At home, in my flannel gown, like a bear to its floe,
我爬上床;沿地球不可能的侧面攀升
I clambered to bed; up the globe's impossible sides
我彻夜航行——直到最后,带着我的黑胡子,
I sailed all night—till at last, with my black beard,
我的裘皮和我的狗,我站在了北极。
My furs and my dogs, I stood at the northern pole.
在那里童稚的夜间我的伙伴们冻卧着,
There in the childish night my companions lay frozen,
僵硬的裘皮敲打我饥饿的咽喉,
The stiff furs knocked at my starveling throat,
我发出一声大大的惊叹:雪花蜂拥而至,
And I gave my great sigh: the flakes came huddling,
它们真是我的终结么?黑暗里我翻身入眠。
Were they really my end? In the darkness I turned to my rest.
——这里,旗子猎猎作响在未破碎冰层的
—Here, the flag snaps in the glare and silence
眩光与寂静之中。我站在这里,
Of the unbroken ice. I stand here,
狗吠,我的胡子是黑的,而我凝望
The dogs bark, my beard is black, and I stare
着北极……
At the North Pole . . .
现在干嘛呢?唉,回去吧。
And now what? Why, go back.
随意转身,我的脚步朝向南方。
Turn as I please, my step is to the south.
世界——我的世界回旋在这寒冷与悲惨的
The world—my world spins on this final point
终极点之上:所有的线,所有的风
Of cold and wretchedness: all lines, all winds
在这个我终于发现的漩涡中结束。
End in this whirlpool I at last discover.
并且毫无意义。在孩童的床头
And it is meaningless. In the child's bed
在这夜的航行之后,在那个温暖世界
After the night's voyage, in that warm world
人们在其中劳作与受苦只为了那场
Where people work and suffer for the end
冠绝苦痛的终结——在那云鹃之国[2]
That crowns the pain—in that Cloud-Cuckoo-Land
我抵达我的北方,于是它有了意义。
I reached my North and it had meaning.
这里身处我的存在那实有的极点,
Here at the actual pole of my existence,
我曾经做过的一切都毫无意义的所在,
Where all that I have done is meaningless,
我独自一人因意外而死或生的所在——
Where I die or live by accident alone—
无论活着还是将死,我依然独自一人的所在;
Where, living or dying, I am still alone;
在这里,北方、夜晚、死亡的冰山
Here where North, the night, the berg of death
将我挤出无知黑暗的所在,
Crowd me out of the ignorant darkness,
我终于看穿所有那些被我从黑暗里
I see at last that all the knowledge
绞拧出来的知识——黑暗扔给我的——
I wrung from the darkness—that the darkness flung me—
都像无知一样毫无价值:无物来自无物,
Is worthless as ignorance: nothing comes from nothing,
黑暗来自黑暗。苦痛来自黑暗
The darkness from the darkness. Pain comes from the darkness
而我们却称之为智慧。那是苦痛。
And we call it wisdom. It is pain.
译注
[1] 即北极。
[2] Cloud-Cuckoo-Land,源自古希腊喜剧家阿里斯托芬(约公元前446-约公元前386)的喜剧《鸟》中全世界的鸟造就的一座天空之城,常被用来意指虚无飘渺的幻想境地。