Did they send me away from my cat and my wife
他们是不是把我送去,远离我的猫和我妻子,
To a doctor who poked me and counted my teeth,
到一个戳弄我并数我牙齿的医生那儿,
To a line on a plain, to a stove in a tent?
到一处平地上排成一排,到一个帐蓬里的炉子旁边?
Did I nod in the flies of the schools?
我在成群的苍蝇堆里打盹了吗?
And the fighters rolled into the tracer like rabbits,
战士们像大批的兔子滚进了追踪者的掌心。
The blood froze over my splints like a scab—
血液凝结在我的夹板上像一块疮疤……
Did I snore, all still and grey in the turret,
我打鼾了吗,在寂静而阴暗的炮塔里,
Till the palms rose out of the sea with my death?
直到棕榈载着我的死亡升出海面?
And the world ends here, in the sand of a grave,
而我的世界在此终止,在一座坟墓的沙土中,
All my wars over? How easy it was to die!
我所有的战争都算结束?死是多么容易啊!
Has my wife a pension of so many mice?
我妻子有一笔跟这些耗子一样多的抚恤金吗?
Did the medals go home to my cat?
奖章送到家挂在我的猫脖子上了吗?