What the Gypsies Told My Grandmother While She Was Still a Young Girl查尔斯·西米克

当我祖母还是个小女孩时吉普赛人告诉她冯冬 译


War, illness and famine will make you their favourite grandchild.
战争,疾病,饥荒最喜欢你这个小孙女
You'll be like a blind person watching a silent movie.
你将像盲人看一部无声电影
You'll chop onions and pieces of your heart
你将把洋葱与自己的心
into the same hot skillet.
一片片切到同一个煎锅里
Your children will sleep in a suitcase tied with a rope.
你的孩子将睡进绳子绑起来的箱子里
Your husband will kiss your breasts every night
你的丈夫将每晚吻你的乳房
as if they were two gravestones.
        仿佛那是两座坟墓

Already the crows are grooming themselves
乌鸦已经在打扮自己
for you and your people.
为你和你的家族
Your oldest son will lie with flies on his lips
你的大儿子将躺下,抬不起手
without smiling or lifting his hand.
        面无笑容,嘴上爬满苍蝇
You'll envy every ant you meet in your life
你将羡慕你遇见的每一只蚂蚁
and every roadside weed.
        还有路旁的每一根杂草
Your body and soul will sit on separate stoops
你的身体与灵魂将坐在不同台阶上
chewing the same piece of gum.
        嚼同一块口香糖

Little cutie, are you for sale? the devil will say.
魔鬼说,小乖乖,你卖不卖?
The undertaker will buy a toy for your grandson.
抬棺材的人会给你孙子买玩具
Your mind will be a hornet's nest even on your deathbed.
你死前躺在床上,你的脑子
You will pray to God but God will hang a sign
像大黄蜂窝
that He's not to be disturbed.
你将祈祷上帝但上帝会挂出牌子
Question no further, that's all I know.
        请勿打扰
别再问了,我就知道这么多


添加译本