I grew up bent over
我从小弯着腰长大
a chessboard.
在棋盘里。
I loved the word endgame.
我喜欢残局这个词。
All my cousins looked worried.
我所有的表兄弟都很担心。
It was a small house
那是一间小房子
near a Roman graveyard.
在罗马墓地的附近。
Planes and tanks
飞机和坦克
shook its windowpanes.
摇晃着窗户玻璃。
A retired professor of astronomy
一位退休的天文学教授
taught me how to play.
教我下棋。
That must have been in 1944.
那应该是1944年。
In the set we were using,
在我们用的棋盘,
the paint had almost chipped off
油漆大部分已剥落成
the black pieces.
黑色的碎片。
The white King was missing
白王丢了
and had to be substituted for.
必须找东西替换。
I’m told but do not believe
我被告知什么也别信
that that summer I witnessed
那个夏天我目睹了
men hung from telephone poles.
一个男人被挂在电线杆上。
I remember my mother
我记得妈妈
blindfolding me a lot.
经常蒙住我的眼睛。
She had a way of tucking my head
她有办法突然地把我的头
suddenly under her overcoat.
塞在她的大衣下。
In chess, too, the professor told me,
记得下棋时,教授告诉我,
the masters play blindfolded,
大师们都蒙着眼睛下,
the great ones on several boards
几个板上钉钉的伟大人物
at the same time.
同时下几盘棋。