Tell me why it is wedon’t lift our voices these days
告诉我为什么近日我们不提高嗓门
And cry over what ishappening. Have you noticed
为眼下发生的一切而呼喊。你注意到吗
The plans are made forIraq and the ice cap is melting?
对付伊拉克大计已定、冰川正在融化?
I say to myself:"Go on, cry. What’s the sense
我对自己说:『继续呼喊。身为成人
Of being an adult andhaving no voice? Cry out!
而不表态有何意义?大声疾呼!
See who will answer!This is Call and Answer!"
看谁回应!这就是呼唤与响应!』
We will have to callespecially loud to reach
我们必须格外大声地呼唤
Our angels, who arehard of hearing; they are hiding
我们的天使,他们耳背;他们躲在
In the jugs of silencefilled during our wars.
战争时期装满沉默的罐子里。
Have we agreed to somany wars that we can’t
已经默许了那么多场战争
Escape from silence?If we don’t lift our voices, we allow
我们还能再沉默吗?
Others (who areourselves) to rob the house.
如果不提高嗓音我们便是
允许他人(即我们自己)去抢劫家园。
How come we’ve listenedto the great criers—Neruda,
Akhmatova, Thoreau,Frederick Douglass—and now
我们曾经倾听过伟大的呼唤者─ 聂鲁达、
We’re silent assparrows in the little bushes?
阿赫玛托娃、梭罗、弗雷德里克. 道格拉斯─
为何现在却象小灌木*丛中的麻雀一样沉默?
Some masters say ourlife lasts only seven days.
Where are we in theweek? Is it Thursday yet?
某些大师说我们的生命只有七天。
Hurry, cry now! SoonSunday night will come.
现在是星期几?星期四已到了吗?
快,呼叫吧!周日夜晚即将来临。