告诉我为什么这些日子我们不再提高声音
Tell me why it is wedon’t lift our voices these days
不再对着刚发生的事哭泣。你可留意
And cry over what ishappening. Have you noticed
针对伊拉克的计划正在运行,冰帽正在融解?
The plans are made forIraq and the ice cap is melting?
我对自己说:"去哭吧。为什么做一个
I say to myself:"Go on, cry. What’s the sense
成人就没有了声音?哭出来!
Of being an adult andhaving no voice? Cry out!
看看谁会答应!这叫呼唤与回应!
See who will answer!This is Call and Answer!"
我们必须高声的喊叫才能让天使听见,
We will have to callespecially loud to reach
他们有些耳背,躲在罐子里,
Our angels, who arehard of hearing; they are hiding
罐子里装满了战争带来的沉默。
In the jugs of silencefilled during our wars.
我们是否认同了太多的战争,以至于
Have we agreed to somany wars that we can’t
只有沉默?我们的无声
Escape from silence?If we don’t lift our voices, we allow
会让别人(我们自己)来洗劫我们的家园。
Others (who areourselves) to rob the house.
为什么我们曾聆听那些伟大的呐喊者—Neruda,
How come we’ve listenedto the great criers—Neruda,
Akhmatova, Thoreau,Frederick Douglass—
Akhmatova, Thoreau,Frederick Douglass—and now
而现在,我们藏在小树林里麻雀一样无声?
We’re silent assparrows in the little bushes?
一些大师说我们的生命只能延续七日。
Some masters say ourlife lasts only seven days.
这一周里我们在哪里?周四是否已经到来?
Where are we in theweek? Is it Thursday yet?
快,赶快行动!周日马上就要来临。
Hurry, cry now! SoonSunday night will come.
译者注:伯莱在向和平时代的人们呐喊,不要对现实政治视而不见,沉默只能带来死亡。他写这首诗的具体背景是布什政府发动的伊拉克战争。诗中"躲在小树丛里的麻雀","小树林"的英文"littlebush"一语双关,树丛"Bush" 也是"布什"的名字。周日可以泛意的理解为末日,终结,它也指向美国轰炸伊拉克的那个周日。