重来的童真贝小戎 译

A Second ChildhoodG·K·切斯特顿


即使所有日子都将结束,
When all my days are ending
而我再没有歌可以哼唱,
And I have no song to sing,
我想我也不至于老得
I think that I shall not be too old
无法凝视周围的一切;
To stare at everything;
像儿时盯着看育幼院的门,
As I stared once at a nursery door
看一棵大树、一架秋千。
Or a tall tree and a swing.

主的慈仁沉沉地挂在
Wherein God’s ponderous mercy hangs
我的身上、我的罪愆,
On all my sins and me,
因为他没有从树上
Because He does not take away
去除那恐惧、威严,
The terror from the tree
路上的石头依然闪亮
And stones still shine along the road
似真,亦幻。
That are and cannot be.

人老了,不再爱了,我的爱,
Men grow too old for love, my love,
人老了,不贪杯了,
Men grow too old for wine,
但再老我也能看见
But I shall not grow too old to see
天上的光亮,
Unearthly daylight shine,
将我室内的尘土化作雪,
Changing my chamber’s dust to snow
疑似不在人间。
Till I doubt if it be mine.

看,冠冕上慈恩在融泄,
Behold, the crowning mercies melt,
最初的惊奇凝留;
The first surprises stay;
在我的渣滓里抛下一件
And in my dross is dropped a gift
我不敢奢求的礼物:
For which I dare not pray:
一个男人习惯了悲喜,
That a man grow used to grief and joy
却不曾厌倦黑夜、白天。
But not to night and day.

人老了,不再爱了,我的爱,
Men grow too old for love, my love,
人老了,不再编造谎言;
Men grow too old for lies;
但再老我也能看见
But I shall not grow too old to see
如磐的黑夜升起,
Enormous night arise,
笼罩天地的一片乌云
A cloud that is larger than the world
和全身眼球的怪兽。
And a monster made of eyes.

我何德何能,既
Nor am I worthy to unloose
解不开我的鞋带,
The latchet of my shoe;
也掸不掉脚上的尘土;
Or shake the dust from off my feet
不配得到那手杖,扶我走过
Or the staff that bears me through
太过美好的旅途,
On ground that is too good to last,
太过坚实的道路。
Too solid to be true.

人老了,忘了如何求欢,我的爱,
Men grow too old to woo, my love,
人老了,忘了如何恩爱:
Men grow too old to wed;
但再老我也能看见
But I shall not grow too old to see
不可思议的木筏
Hung crazily overhead
悬浮在头顶,那时我醒来,
Incredible rafters when I wake
发现生命还在延续。
And I find that I am not dead.

发丝间一阵雷动:
A thrill of thunder in my hair:
虽然乌云近在眼前,
Though blackening clouds be plain,
却还是被第一滴雨
Still I am stung and startled
刺痛,被它惊醒:
By the first drop of the rain:
爱恋、荣耀、激情已经过去,
Romance and pride and passion pass
留下的只有这些。
And these are what remain.

青草是绵延的奇异地毯,
Strange crawling carpets of the grass,
蓝天是敞亮的窗口:
Wide windows of the sky;
就这样,我背负所有的罪
So in this perilous grace of God
惶恐地步入主的恩典:
With all my sins go I:
我会日渐衰老,直到死去,
And things grow new though I grow old,
世界却不断地翻新、变幻。
Though I grow old and die.


添加译本