Stealing Sugar from the Castle罗伯特·布莱

从城堡里偷糖赵嘉竑 译


We are poor students who stay after school to study joy.
我们是放学后留堂研习快乐的穷学生。
We are like those birds in the India mountains.
我们好似那些印度群山中的鸟儿。
I am a widow whose child is her only joy.
我是一个寡妇,孩子是她唯一的快乐。

The only thing I hold in my ant-like head
我蚂蚁般的脑袋里装着的唯一东西
Is the builder’s plan of the castle of sugar.
就是建造者的糖堡设计图。
Just to steal one grain of sugar is a joy!
仅仅偷一粒糖也是一种快乐!

Like a bird, we fly out of darkness into the hall,
像一只鸟儿,我们飞离黑暗进入
Which is lit with singing, then fly out again.
被歌声照亮的厅堂,然后又飞离。
Being shut out of the warm hall is also a joy.
被隔绝在温暖的厅堂外也是一种快乐。

I am a laggard, a loafer, and an idiot. But I love
我是一个落后者、懒汉、傻瓜蛋。但我爱
To read about those who caught one glimpse
读这些人的故事,他们曾瞥上一眼
Of the Face, and died twenty years later in joy.
那张脸,在二十年后死去,伴着快乐。

I don’t mind your saying I will die soon.
我不在乎你说我将立刻死去。
Even in the sound of the word soon, I hear
甚至在“立刻”这词的声音里,我听见
The word you which begins every sentence of joy.
一个“你”字,“你”起头的每个句子都有关快乐。

“You’re a thief!” the judge said. “Let’s see
“你是一个小偷!”法官说。“让我们看看
Your hands!” I showed my callused hands in court.
你的手!”我在法庭上展出我结着老茧的双手。
My sentence was a thousand years of joy.
我的判决是一千年的快乐。


添加译本