Great, wide, beautiful, wonderful World,
世界啊,你伟大、广阔、美丽、奇妙,
With the wonderful water round you curled,
奇妙的海水把你环绕,
And the wonderful grass upon your breast--
奇妙的花草在你的胸膛上生长——
World, you are beautifully drest.
世界啊,你穿着美丽的衣裳。
The wonderful air is over me,
奇妙的气流在我的上空,
And the wonderful wind is shaking the tree,
奇妙的风儿把树木晃动;
It walks on the water, and whirls the mills,
风走在水上,风转动磨坊,
And talks to itself on the tops of the hills.
风自言自语在群山顶上。
You friendly Earth! how far do you go,
友好的大地!你伸展得多远?——
With the wheat-fields that nod and the rivers that flow,
你河里流水淌,田里麦浪翻,
With cities and gardens, and cliffs, and isles,
布满了城市,花园,峭岩,岛屿,
And people upon you for thousands of miles?
你身上千里万里多少人居住!
Ah, you are so great, and I am so small,
啊!你这样伟大,我这样渺小,
I tremble to think of you, World, at all;
世界啊,我一想到你就几乎吓倒;
And yet, when I said my prayers to-day,
可是在我今天祷告的时刻,
A whisper inside me seemed to say,
我内心仿佛有声音悄悄地说,
“你是个小不点,却能够超过地球:
"You are more than the Earth, though
你能爱,能思索,可是地球不能够!”
you are such a dot:
You can love and think, and the Earth
cannot!"